Love Our Trails
Take the #LoveOurTrailsNS Challenge!
This February, Hike NS invites MLAs and citizens across Nova Scotia to take the #LoveOurTrailsNS challenge.
We’re asking everyone to get out onto a local trail in February, snap a photo and share on social media with the #LoveOurTrailsNS hashtag to show their love of trails.
💗 Snap Some Love-ly Photos 💗
Calling all trail lovers! Get out onto the trails this February, take a photo and share on social media. While you’re at it, tag your MLA and challenge them to do the same. We want our elected representatives to know that our trails are important to us, and they need to be protected and supported.
We’ll be celebrating MLAs who participate throughout the month by sharing their social media posts with our following on Instagram
. We’ll post some citizens’ photos too!
💗 Why #LoveOurTrailsNS? 💗
During the pandemic, Nova Scotians flocked to the trails in record numbers to hike. Hurricane Fiona damaged many of our trails. Our trails are feeling the impacts of both. The government has a role to play in better supporting trails and hiking because:
- Trails are a place where we go for physical activity, for relieving stress, to support our mental health and to commune with nature
- Walking is the top physical activity of Nova Scotians
- At least 75% of all trail users are hikers and hiking is one of the top three outdoor tourist activities
💗 What Can MLAs Do to Love Our Trails? 💗
To love and better support trails and hiking, MLAs can act within government to:
They can also snap a photo and post on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, making sure to tag Hike NS and include #LoveOurTrailsNS
in their post!
💗 Challenge Your Own MLA 💗
Invite your own MLA to take the #LoveOurTrailsNS challenge! How to do it:
1. Copy the text from this document
into an email
2. Find your MLA here to get their email address:
Find your electoral district
Find your MLA
3. Send off your email - maybe invite them on a hike on your favourite trail
We 💗 LOVE 💗
you for supporting the #LoveOurTrailsNS challenge. Happy trails!
February 1, 2023: MLAs invited to take the #LoveOurTrailsNS Challenge