Young Hiker Challenge
The Young Hiker Challenge recognizes children and youth for hiking (or walking or snowshoeing) significant distances within Nova Scotia over the course of a year.
- No pre-registration is necessary and it doesn’t matter when you start
- Simply start tallying your kilometres for a year using a logbook you can print yourself
- Tally the following distances within one year (365 days):
- Ages 5 to 8: 15 km
- Ages 9 to 14: 30 km
- Ages 15 to adult: 45 km
- Do this and you receive:
- A Hiker Distance Award Challenge Badge to show your achievement
- Recognition on our Honour Roll - Who's Earned Badges!
- To redeem distances for patch, you must be a current member of Hike NS
- To redeem your kilometres, send us by email or mail:
- Number of youth receiving a patch
- Name, age and number of km hiked per person
- Contact person name, mailing address and phone number
- For groups: Name of the group, community and contact name
- Photos (we would love to share your success with Hike NS members – please ensure proof of permission is provided)
Girl Guides of Canada - Nova Scotia can take the Challenge tooL: Hiker Distance Award Challenge for Girl Guides
The Duke of Edinburgh's Award
is a partner with Hike NS. Youth involved with the award can earn the badge and participate in Hike NS programming.