Guided Hike Service
Book a hike leader to guide your group on a local trail for a fee. Get your group’s hike on and support Hike NS’s activities. This is a basic guided hike service with no “bells and whistles” - if you want those, please look up a local tour operator at the link below.
What you need to know before booking:
- This is a basic guided hike service - no special interpretation, no participant transportation, no gear, no food/refreshments, no special activities nor other “bells and whistles” are provided.
- There is a fee of $200 for a 1- to 2-hour hike for groups up to 20 people.
- The guided hike fee must be paid at least a week in advance (see our Cancellation Policy below).
- Our hike leaders have taken the Outdoor Council of Canada’s Field Leader-Hiking course and first aid training.
- The hike leader will meet the group at the trailhead and guide them along the trail. They’ll point out neat aspects of the trail and manage the group.
- Hike leaders are paid a small fee, but they lead these hikes because they love hiking, want to help others explore the trails and want to support Hike NS.
- Participants will be required to complete and sign a waiver before the hike.
- The group/participants are responsible for providing their own gear such as snowshoes.
- Participants must wear proper footwear and clothing and bring their own water, snack and sun protection.
- Disclaimer: Our guided hike service is subject to the availability of hike leaders for the particular date, time and location of the requested hikes.
If you’re okay with these terms, then please click on the Request a Hike file below, download it, complete the form and email it to us. We’ll contact you to finalize hike details and payment.
Request a Hike Form
Guided Hike Service Flyer
Bells & Whistles: Use a Local Tour Operator
Hike NS’s basic guided hike service is not meant to compete with local tour operators. If you require more “bells and whistles” for your hike, such as specific interpretation, transportation, gear, food/refreshments or special activities, please contact one of Nova Scotia’s excellent tour operators listed at www.novascotia.com
(hover your mouse on See & Do, then click on Tours, then click on Tour Operators and choose to filter by Hiking Tours).
Free Hike Leaders
Hike NS does not have the volunteer or staff capacity to provide free hike leaders, so please contact your local community trail group
or municipal recreation department - they might be able to help. And there are lots of free guided hike events
already scheduled for you and your group to enjoy.
Hike NS requires two full days’ notice from a group wishing to cancel its guided hike booking in order to receive a full refund. For example, if a hike will take place on September 6, notice of cancellation by email or phone must be received by 5 pm on September 3. If cancelled by the group with less than two full day’s notice, only three quarters of the fee will be reimbursed. Sometimes Hike NS must cancel a hike due to guide illness, bad weather or other unforeseen circumstance. If Hike NS has to cancel the hike, the group will be fully reimbursed.