Leave No Trace Trainer Course
This two-day course on May 27 and 28, 2023 takes place mostly outdoors and includes an overnight camping stay. Participants learn about the seven principles of Leave No Trace
(LNT) as well as simple ways to reduce their negative impacts on the natural environment. Through interactive activities, they also learn to educate others about low-impact outdoor practices. Following this training, new Instructors are encouraged to give awareness workshops
to spread the word.
The course will be delivered by a LNT Master Educator. It is offered through Hike Nova Scotia, supported by Explore Magazine
and Coleman Canada
, in conjunction with Leave No Trace Canada
, and by the Nova Scotia Department of Communities, Culture, Tourism and Heritage
This is a two-day course running from 9 am to 5 pm each day with short breaks throughout. There are both indoor and outdoor elements (but mostly outdoors). While there will be an indoor venue, the Saturday night will be spent outside in tents. The supper meal and breakfast can be prepared and eaten indoors.
- Have some outdoor experience including hiking and camping
- Commit to pre-course work including reading and preparing a lesson (to be assigned by the instructor)
- Facilitate a lesson on the LNT principles (topic to be determined by the instructor)
- Have the physical ability to hike on a footpath with rocks and roots, etc.
- Attend the full two-day course in order to receive certification
Participants must bring:
- Their own sleeping pad and sleeping bag
- A tent (though some participants might want to share)
- A day backpack (water and snacks, lunch for on the trail x 2 days)
- Hiking clothes and shoes/boots suited to the weather (rain or shine)
- Food for the weekend including lunches, snacks, Saturday supper and Sunday breakfast (supper and breakfast can be prepared indoors in a full kitchen)
The cost is $135 (with an additional 15% off for paid Hike NS members). A reduced fee of $110 is available for Duke of Edinburgh leaders. Registration includes various educator materials. All participants must sign a waiver. Further course information will be provided upon registration. Participants are responsible for their own gear, meals and transportation.
Register for the Leave No Trace Instructor Course
May 27-28: Truro - Register Here
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Hike NS requires three full days’ notice in order to reimburse anyone who wishes to cancel their registration by 5 pm on May 23 by email or phone. Sometimes Hike NS must cancel a course due to instructor illness, low enrollment or other unforeseen circumstance. If Hike NS has to cancel the course, you will be contacted at least a day in advance and will be fully reimbursed.